Waste Minimisation Lead
Permanent position working 40 hours per week
Napier is a lively and vibrant city, offering an exceptional climate as well as plentiful opportunities for family, recreation and relaxation. Improved road and air links are helping to make Napier one of New Zealand's most popular, liveable and easily accessible cities.
Napier City Council is one of Napier's biggest and most desirable employers - we value excellence, integrity, sustainability and outstanding customer and community service.
The important role of Waste Minimisation Lead is responsible for the leadership of the Waste diversion and minimisation and Solid Waste activities for Napier city, not only setting and leading the strategic direction, but also working with key stakeholders, including community and neighbouring councils on waste minimisation policies, goals and day-to-day operational activities and contracts.
This is a multi-faceted role where you can bring your strengths in developing strategic initiatives in the waste management, and recycling realm, to playing a key role in educating our city on waste reduction, as well as operational management of the kerbside collections, landfill and transfer station facilities.
Being Council's representative across national policy change, seeking out opportunities to divert waste from landfill and empowering our citizens in making collective positive change will be your strong suit. You need to have a genuine passion for the environment and for the planet. You will have leadership responsibilities for two team members, who share your vision.
Key responsibilities for the role will include:
- Development of Strategic Initiatives, eg:
- Work collaboratively with neighbouring Councils on such documents as the Joint Waste Management and Minimisation Plan and the Solid Waste Bylaw review
- Aligning all waste management and minimisation issues, and local and national legislative frameworks
- Submitting to national policy changes on behalf of service users in the city
- Leading the development of waste assessment and recycling policy
- Waste Minimisation
- Produce and implement a strategic roadmap of waste minimisation initiatives that relate to WMMP actions and goals as well as SWAP survey data to determine priority waste streams.
- Liaison with organisations such us Keep Napier Beautiful to facilitate events and the Hawke's Bay Environment Centre to promote on site composting, diversion and waste minimisation education and engagement opportunities.
- Co-ordination of and attendance at scheduled events including hazardous waste collection days, recycling days, e-waste collection days
- Contract Management and Maintenance
- Create and maintain strong relationships and robust contract management of existing recycling and solid waste contracts enabling flexibility and reasonableness with the current local, national and global situations
- Management and procurement of Solid Waste contracts
- Seeking continual improvement opportunities in performance of waste contracts
Key requirements for the role include:
- A professional tertiary qualification in Environmental Engineering and/or Environmental Management and/or Environmental Sustainability or equivalent.
- Demonstrable knowledge of waste management, sustainability and waste minimisation.
- Knowledge of relevant Legislation, Standards and Codes of Practice
If you are ready for this opportunity, then we encourage you to apply now. We will be interviewing suitable candidates as applications are received and may close this advertisement when we have found the right person.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status although applicants must have existing rights to work in New Zealand. Napier City Council is responsible for Civil Defence emergencies and as such, all staff may be called upon to support the response.
Our preferred candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening which includes drug testing, personality profile and, for some roles, health screening.