MTG Hawke's Bay, Napier
Permanent - fulltime 40 hours per week
Napier is a lively and vibrant city, offering an exceptional climate as well as plentiful opportunities for family, recreation and relaxation. Improved road and air links are helping to make Napier one of New Zealand's most popular, liveable and easily accessible cities.
Napier City Council is one of Napier's biggest and most desirable employers - we value excellence, integrity, sustainability and outstanding customer and community service.
MTG Hawke's Bay is an award-winning museum, home of the region's art, taonga and other treasures. The museum has an exciting programme of varying exhibitions and events, incorporating theatre and educational programmes. We have a rare opportunity for a motivated Exhibition Technician to join our high performing Exhibitions & Facilities team.
You will ideally have museum or art gallery experience with a high level of skill in all aspects of technical work required for the preparation and installation of exhibitions. However, candidates wanting to enter the museum and art gallery sector with transferrable skills and a willingness to learn will be encouraged to apply.
This is a hands-on role, where you will actively work with exhibition designers, technicians, artists, curators and the collections team, so your ability to build relationships is essential.
If you are passionate about helping to deliver engaging, innovative and creative exhibitions for our visitors, we want to hear from you!
To be successful in this role, you will ideally need:
- 2 years museum or art gallery experience
- Exhibition production and installation experience
- Proven skills and quality workmanship in matting & framing of artworks, mount making, carpentry, painting and fabrication using a range of materials
- Proficiency in Tig welding and brazing with an understanding of structure & stresses as they apply to mount fabrication and object support
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Imagination and a positive, solution-focused attitude
Napier City Council is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status although applicants must have existing rights to work in New Zealand.
Our preferred candidate will be required to undergo pre-employment screening which will include drug testing and a police check.