Lifeguard, Napier Aquatic Centre
Permanent part-time position working 24 hours per week - working Monday to Sunday and public holidays, as per the pre-arranged roster
Napier City Council is one of Napier's biggest and most desirable employers - we value excellence, integrity, sustainability and excellent customer and community service.
The Napier Aquatic Centre includes indoor heated pools, spa pools and 2 fully covered water slides. The complex is open every day, all year round, and offers a 'Learn-to-Swim' programme, school holiday programmes, and a range of recreational activities and events.
Lifeguards are the frontline of the Aquatic Centre and are responsible for the safety and enjoyment of customers using the facilities. The Aquatic Centre is open daily between 6.00am and 9.00pm and all Lifeguards work rostered shifts on any of the 7 days a week, including weekends, school holidays and public holidays.
As a Lifeguard, you will be responsible for
- Assisting the public and organisations in their safe use of the Napier Aquatic Centre
- Carry out basic water-testing and plant monitoring
- Ensure safe work practices are followed
- Proactively promote safe behaviour and injury prevention
- Maintaining personal levels of competence in life-saving technique
What you'll bring to the role
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Friendly and cooperative attitude
- Can work independently and as part of a team
- Has a very reliable and proactive work ethic
- Able to swim and are confident in the water
- Current First Aid Certificate (is preferred but not essential)
What is in it for you?
- Ongoing training and development
- Great career opportunities
- Diverse and varied work environment
- It would be great if you have your Pool Lifeguard Award and First Aid but if not, Napier Aquatic Centre will support you to gain these qualifications
It is important for applicants to know that Napier City Council is currently undergoing a health and safety risk assessment to determine the risks of COVID-19 in our workplace and whether vaccinations are required by job holders to ensure the health and safety of our team and customers. This role is subject to the risk assessment and depending on the outcome, may require the job holder to be fully vaccinated. You need to be aware that you will be asked to declare your vaccination status as part of your application.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Applicants must have existing rights to work in New Zealand. Napier City Council is responsible for Civil Defence emergencies and as such, all staff may be called upon to support the response.
Our preferred candidates may be required to undergo pre-employment screening which will include drug testing and, for some roles, health screening.