Drainage Serviceperson (Trainee opportunity)
Permanent position working a minimum of 42.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday (must be available for overtime and stand by as required)
Napier City Council is one of Napier's biggest and most desirable employers - we value excellence, integrity, sustainability and outstanding customer and community service.
The Drainage Team is responsible for the maintenance and construction of the city wastewater and stormwater network. We are seeking a person with a positive attitude who enjoys working outdoors to join the Drainage Team at Napier City Council.
Key tasks for the role includes assisting with repairs and general maintenance on the Council's drainage networks and associated infrastructure, assist in the efficient and effective operation of the wastewater and stormwater networks and identifying faults.
This position offers a positive stable work environment with the opportunity to develop skills and knowledge and gain a nationally-recognised qualification.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Able to work cooperatively in a team and independently with minimal supervision
- Reliable with good initiative and ability to follow instructions accurately
- Able to interpret plans and specifications
- Able to work overtime, including weekends and call outs, when required
- Able to cope with physical work outdoors in all weather
- Commitment to Health & Safety in workplace
- Current Class 1 driver's licence (full preferred, restricted may be considered)
- Must undertake training and complete National Certificate in Utilities Maintenance
- Able to work in confined spaces
Full training is provided with this position, however it will be an advantage if you have any of the following experience:
- Experience in the civil construction industry
- Previous manual labouring work
- Experience working with underground services
- Class 2 driver licence, W-T-R endorsement
We encourage you to apply now. We will be interviewing suitable candidates as applications are received and may close this advertisement when we have found the right person.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status although applicants must have existing rights to work in New Zealand. Napier City Council is responsible for Civil Defence emergencies and as such, all staff may be called upon to support the response
It is important for applicants to know that Napier City Council is currently undergoing a health and safety risk assessment to determine the risks of COVID-19 in our workplace and whether vaccinations are required by job holders to ensure the health and safety of our team and customers. This role is subject to the risk assessment and depending on the outcome, may require the job holder to be fully vaccinated. You need to be aware that you will be asked to declare your vaccination status as part of your application.
Our preferred candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening which includes drug testing and, for some roles, health screening.