Permanent position working 40 hours per week (Monday to Sunday as per the pre-arranged roster)
The National Aquarium of New Zealand is owned by the people of Napier and Napier City Council. It attracts 150,000 visitors each year and offers a wide range of experiences from diving displays and keeper talks, to getting up close and personal with sharks and little penguins. Its centrepiece exhibit is the stunning 1.5 million litre Oceanarium with a 50m-long viewing tunnel.
The Aquarium is committed to education, conservation, Māori culture and history, providing experienced educators and offering a variety of programs. Functions and corporate events are regularly hosted at the Aquarium and the on-site cafe and gift shop complete the visitor experience.
Napier City Council is one of Napier's biggest and most desirable employers - we value excellence, integrity, sustainability and outstanding customer and community service. Napier is quickly developing into the best small city in New Zealand, so be a part of it! There's never been a more exciting time to join our team.
We are looking for someone as passionate about the Aquarium and its residents as we are. We have a bold vision for an "unforgettable aquarium experience" and you will be a part of making this happen. If you are an experienced Diver with fishkeeping skills, then we want to hear from you!
The team of Divers play a critical role in enhancing the visitor experience, as well as carrying out essential underwater maintenance and assisting with high quality care of animals and exhibits.
To apply for this role you will need to have the following:
- PADI Rescue Diver certificate (or equivalent)
- Be medically fit for diving
- Certificate of Competence for Tourism diving (or be eligible)
- Only those with the right to live and work in New Zealand may apply for this job (i.e. a permanent New Zealand resident, New Zealand citizen or an Australian citizen).
- Able to work flexible hours and days in a busy 7-day a week tourism operation.
- 2+ years' experience in animal care (previous experience working in an accredited zoo or aquarium is preferable)
As a Diver (Aquarist) you will be responsible for:
- Providing safe supervision of guest divers and swimmers
- Conducting informative tours around the Aquarium with members of the public
- Assisting in maintaining the health and welfare of all animals held at the National Aquarium of New Zealand
- Feeding our residents and maintaining exhibits
- Diving within our major tanks to engage our visitors, animal husbandry and exhibit maintenance
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Applicants must have existing rights to work in New Zealand.
Our preferred candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening which will include drug testing and, for some roles, health screening.
If this sounds like you, then we want to hear from you! We will be interviewing applications as we receive them and may close the role when we have found the right person.