Diver / Aquarist, National Aquarium of New Zealand
- Be part of a fun and unique working environment
- Professional training and development
- Working as part of a passionate Animal Care Team
The National Aquarium has big plans ahead and we are expanding our Animal Care Department. Several new and exciting opportunities are available, including the role of an experienced Diver/Aquarist, working with species such as rays, sharks and Little Penguins.
We are offering both permanent and temporary arrangements working 40 hours per week, Monday to Sunday across a roster that includes 8 hour or 10 hour shifts. We welcome those on work visas with relevant experience who have eligibility to work in New Zealand to apply.
We are looking for someone who is as passionate about the Aquarium and its residents as we are. We have a bold vision for an "unforgettable aquarium experience" and you will be a part of making this happen. If you are an experienced Diver with fishkeeping skills, then we want to hear from you!
The team of Diver/Aquarists play a critical role in enhancing the visitor experience, as well as carrying out essential underwater maintenance and assisting with high quality care of animals and exhibits.
To apply for this role, you will need to have the following:
- Minimum PADI Rescue Diver certificate (or equivalent)
- Certificate of Competence (CoC) for Tourism diving (or be suitable to gain this requirement)
- Ability to work flexible hours and days in a busy 7-day a week tourism operation
- Previous experience in animal care (previous experience working in an accredited zoo or aquarium is preferable)
You will also need to be medically fit for diving to obtain medical clearance from Diving Hyperbaric Medical Services (required for CoC)
As a Diver/Aquarist you will be responsible for:
- Delivering engaging presentations around the Aquarium
- Assisting in maintaining the health and welfare of all animals held at the National Aquarium of New Zealand
- Feeding our residents and maintaining exhibits
- Diving within our major tanks for the purpose of engaging our visitors, animal husbandry and exhibit maintenance
The National Aquarium of New Zealand is owned by the people of Napier and Napier City Council. It attracts 150,000 visitors each year and offers a wide range of experiences from diving displays and keeper talks, to getting up close and personal with little penguins. Its centrepiece exhibit is the stunning 1.5 million litre Oceanarium with a 50m viewing tunnel.
The Aquarium is committed to education, conservation, Māori culture and history, providing experienced educators and offering a variety of exciting programs.
Napier City Council is one of Napier's biggest and most desirable employers - we value excellence, integrity, sustainability and outstanding customer and community service. Napier is quickly developing into the best small city in New Zealand, so be a part of it! There's never been a more exciting time to join our team.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Our preferred candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening which will include a full Dive Medical and drug testing.