Design Quality Assurance Lead
Permanent position working 40 hours per week (Monday to Friday).
Napier is the cultural, artistic, transport and technology hub of the Hawke's Bay region and is quickly developing into the best small city in New Zealand.
Reporting to the Manager, Design and Projects, this is a key role to ensure the quality of the designs meet the expectations for a variety of roading projects (major and minor works), three waters utility works, sportsgrounds and other civil engineering works throughout the City of Napier projects.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring designs are prepared in a way that they can be signed off under the responsibilities defined and required of a Chartered Engineer.
- Overseeing quality of design for a variety of design work from basic road construction arterial roads, traffic management and safety and ornamental road construction to 3 waters projects ranging from water source development to reservoir construction and water distribution and network configuration improvements.
- Guiding the design team in anticipating design obstacles using extensive technical and industry experience.
- Taking a general design brief and oversee the execution of design and ensure the team has identified and mitigated relevant risks including appropriate design skills and experience.
- Liaising with asset managers, project managers, external contractors and senior staff to ensure expectations and desired outcomes are being met, and provide advice to the design team as required.
To be considered for the position you will have:
- A professional tertiary qualification in Civil Engineering, Diploma in Civil Engineering or NZCE (Civil) and a Chartered Engineer
- Have at least 15 years technical experience with extensive experience in civil infrastructure projects
- A background in Roading and 3 Waters design with demonstrated program or design signatory responsibility
- Engineering design and program management experience at a high level
- Excellent ability to estimate and manage time associated with project design development
- Knowledge of survey procedures and survey instrumentation is required together with the use of computer software for computation and design
- A good knowledge of NZ specifications and procedures
- The work will require a creative approach to drawing and design with flair to ensure that engineering standards and the environment are blended together in harmony
- Experience and sound knowledge of Safety in Design
- The ability to motivate, inspire and foster a cohesive team environment using an innovative, consultative and flexible approach reflected in your highly developed communication and interpersonal skills.
What do we offer you?
The opportunity to use your experience to progress your career into a leadership role by contributing to the ongoing development of a high performing and competent team using proven niche technical skills to provide specific specialised technical expertise to the design team members.
You will engage with a team of dedicated and enthusiastic people who care for each other as much as they care for the producing a high quality product.
We have a strong commitment to develop our engineering staff and are presently seeking to gain Professional Development Status (P.D.P.) with Engineering New Zealand. We actively support, and sponsor, our staff to attain Chartered Engineer Status.
Our Design Team is in a growth phase within a council that is building a culture of excellence, accountability and collaboration. There has never been a more exciting time to join our team.
Napier City Council is one of Napier's biggest and most desirable employers - we value excellence, integrity, sustainability and outstanding customer and community service.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Our preferred candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening which includes drug testing and, for some roles, health screening.
If you are ready for this opportunity, then we encourage you to apply now. We will be interviewing suitable candidates as applications are received and may close this advertisement when we have found the right person.