Aquarist / Diver
Permanent position working 40 hours per week (Monday to Sunday including public holidays).
The National Aquarium is a unique, exciting and dynamic facility focused on all things aquatic. It is home to over 100 rich and diverse saltwater, freshwater and land animal exhibits from New Zealand and around the world. It is a popular tourist attraction for our local Hawke's Bay community and visitors to the region.
We are looking for someone who is as passionate about the aquarium and its inhabitants as we are. If you are an experienced Aquarist/Diver or you are just starting your career as an Aquarist/Diver and are willing to undertake the necessary training, then we want to hear from you.
Napier City Council is one of Napier's biggest and most desirable employers - we value excellence, integrity, sustainability and outstanding customer and community service.
The team of 4 Aquarist/Divers play a critical role in enhancing the customer experience, as well as carrying out essential underwater maintenance and assisting with high quality care of animals and exhibits.
As an Aquarist/Diver you will be responsible for:
- Assisting in maintaining the health and well-being of all specimens held at the National Aquarium of NZ
- Taking part in the preparation of food and the feeding of exhibits
- Keeping all public areas inside and outside the National Aquarium of NZ safe, clean, hygienic and tidy to the highest possible level
- Carrying out the required diving, feeding, tank maintenance and provide thorough supervision of guest divers and swimmers
- Conducting informative tours around the Aquarium with members of the public or function groups.
To be successful in this role you will need to:
- Be medically fit for diving
- Have a friendly approachable manner and ability to relate positively to a wide variety of Aquarium visitors
- Be self-motivated and enthusiastic team player.
- Have a positive "can do" attitude, willingness to help out
- Show a genuine interest in the aquarium environment
- Be able to work flexible hours and days in a busy 7 day a week tourism operation.
What is in it for you:
- Be part of a fun and unique working environment
- Ongoing training and development
- Assistance in obtaining a Department of Labour Certificate of Competence as a Tourism Diver.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status although applicants must have existing rights to work in New Zealand.
Our preferred candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening which includes drug testing and health screening.