Lifeguard - Open Water (Senior Level)
Hours of work:
You will be working on a rostered basis, between 6 - 8 hours per day, 30 - 40 hours per week which may be worked on any 5 of the 7 days (Monday to Sunday), between 8.30am and 8.30pm, including Public Holidays.
Training for this position will start on 26 November 2018.
Napier City Council is one of Napier's biggest and most desirable employers - we value excellence, integrity, sustainability and outstanding customer and community service.
We are currently looking for Lifeguards - Open Water (Senior Level) to assist the public and users in their safe use of the inflatable aqua equipment at Pandora Pond from late November 2018 until early March 2019.
As a Senior Level Lifeguard you will be responsible for:
- A team of up to 6 Lifeguards and the security guard(s) on duty.
- Ensuring health and safety is the top priority and that all incidents, hazards and accidents are reported in a timely manner.
- Supervising the activities and conduct of all equipment users, to ensure they are safe at all times.
- Provide information to the public and ensure they are made aware of safety practices and rules for using the inflatable aqua equipment.
- Carrying out basic routine checks of all equipment, rescue equipment as well as checking the adjacent beach area.
- Assisting in the running of programmes and events and be responsible for the correct setting up of the equipment used in conjunction with these activities.
- Maintaining personal levels of competence in life saving techniques, sufficient to assist any member of the public experiencing difficulties, and to perform an assisted rescue if a user gets in to difficulty.
- Providing effective supervision and guidance to the open water Lifeguards, ensuring that instructions and guidelines are followed at all times.
Skills / Experience and additional requirements of the role:
- To be considered for this role it is essential that you have experience supervising and leading a team.
- This position requires a high level of manual handling, standing/walking and swimming fitness to carry out a rescue.
- You will need to be confident in open deep water as well as be able to use various types of rescue equipment, including a Stand up Paddleboard.
Other skills and experience that would be advantageous but not essential include:
- National Pool Life Guard Certificate or Bronze Medallion (Surf Lifesaving)
- Current First Aid Certificate
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status although applicants must have existing rights to work in New Zealand.
Our preferred candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening which includes drug testing and, for some roles, health screening.
**Please note that shortlisting and interviews will take place as applications are received and the advert will close when all positions are filled**